Maria Leal
Z. De Piero
Writing 2
MW 3-4:50 PM
Winter Quarter 2015
Around the World of Writing 2 in 10 Weeks
I am definitely not a science or math person.
In fact, I am really bad in those two subjects.. I am in love with the humanities
and thus, find my strength and pleasure in courses that involve English,
history, and foreign languages. Enrolling in Writing 2 this quarter was something
I was looking forward to. When I am not swamped with school, homework, and
work, I genuinely enjoy reading and writing in a journal. I simply wanted to
get back to writing once again. This quarter was brutal for me, but I despite
my rocky start in the class, the fast-paced atmosphere, the time constraints of
a ten-week class, and everything else in between, I definitely believe that I
greatly benefited from this course.
When I compare my perspective towards
writing now, at the end of my first winter quarter at UCSB, and my writing
perspective during my senior year in high school, it is definitely safe to say
that my views and feelings towards writing have changed. As I mentioned before,
I enjoy writing, however, by the end of my senior year of high school, I was
sick of writing. I was over constantly having to analyze books and stress about
whether I would have enough time to finish three essays during my AP English
Literature test. It is a big reason as to why I opted out of taking a writing
class in the fall, although I did not really have that much of a choice since
picking classes at orientation was essentially the college version of the
“Hunger Games”.
In my senior English class, to me, it
felt as though no one really cared about what my opinion was when it came time
to analyze a book, but more whether I hit the key points that the test graders
were looking for. Did I discuss the symbolism of a certain color? Did I write
about how the author’s childhood influenced his/her writing? What about the
title’s significance? I was being forced to analyze these works but was never
really instructed how to do so or given something that would guide me through
the analysis process. I read and analyzed very distinct books, in terms of
genre, but no one cared to explain to me that genres have different conventions
and that those conventions affect the way a reader understands the text.
Furthermore, analytically, I do not think I was pushed very hard. Skimming the
surface of a literary feature got me a good grade, and as a high school
student, I settled.
Fast forward to now, and I have a deeper
appreciation for writing and analysis. I am more aware of my choices as a
writer, and feel as though my writing choices matter. I think I enjoyed Writing
2 a lot more because I prefer analyzing the conventions and mechanics of
writing as opposed to the “fluff” because in all honesty, half the time, I made
stuff up when analyzing the “fluff” because as the reader, I did not get
anything from what I may have been reading at the time. Also, I feel as though
my analysis ability was greatly challenged in this class. I was forced to delve
deeper in the effects of certain stylistic choices, and consistently take my
analysis a step further. In addition, I now understand that it is okay to start
a new paragraph and that I do not have to restrain my writing structure to the
whole “introduction-three-body-paragraphs-conclusion” formula that every
English teacher I have had has instructed me to follow.
Through this course, I was able to learn
a lot about genres, conventions, and “moves”, while simultaneously finding out
what did and did not work for me as a writer. For starters, I learned that
subconsciously, I knew a lot about genres and conventions, but it was something
that was never referred to by an actual name while I was in high school. The
class opened up my eyes to the actual importance of different genres and how
each one has a different rhetorical make-up. In addition, I now am aware that,
contrary to my previous beliefs, the world of writing is not actually static,
as say Latin, because writing continues to evolve as the world evolves and new
situations arise that may need a new, individual genre. The course section on
“moves” helped develop my stylistic choices and techniques so as to appeal to
my audience and produce a reaction from them.
Furthermore, the lesson/activity that I
enjoyed the most would have to be Writing Project #3. I had fun morphing one
genre into another. It was definitely a challenge trying to decide what
information I was going to keep and what I was going to throw out in my
modified genre. I based those decisions on the demographics of my audience.
Essentially, that is what genre comes down to, audience. Genres are created so
that they can reach different audiences through different platforms. It was
extremely interesting to experience the process of genre shifting firsthand and
take part in it.
I think I will be able to apply a lot of
what I learned in my future writing endeavors. I am definitely a more conscious
writer now than I was ten weeks ago. When I write, I consider all the vital
aspects of what I am creating: Who will be my audience? What is my audience
expecting from my paper and me? What conventions must I include in my writing
as part of the genre it will be a part of? What “moves” can I comfortably
incorporate into my writing so as to better relate to and appeal to my
audience?
However, being a good writer is not just
about the pen-to-paper process, or in this case, fingers-to-keyboard, but also
what happens beforehand---research. I am attentive of the resources available
to me when it comes to research. Prior to our class in the library, I did not
know how to access our library database, or that UCSB even had a database for
that matter. Also, when doing research, I have developed a meticulous eye for
finding and utilizing quotes that are relevant to what I am writing, and not
simply using quotes for the sake of having quotes in my paper. When working on
an analysis, I now find myself constantly asking myself questions such as, why
is important/relevant to what I am discussing? What effect does it have on the
reader? And even, is there a better way for me to phrase this so that the
reader grasps what I am trying to say? I think the course reading were
extremely important in helping guide me through this type of thought process.
Overall, I gained a lot from the material
covered in this course. It was unexpected material because I had never been
taught writing with an emphasis in genre. Now that I have, I see the value in
“genre awareness” and how it makes one a better and more conscious writer.
“Genre awareness” has allowed me to see that I do not always have to be
constrained by what I have been taught in high school. I can change up the
types of genres I use depending on how much freedom I want in my writing (due
to conventions), who my audience is, and even based on effectiveness. Genre is
the backbone of writing.
No comments:
Post a Comment